- 8 pears
- 100 grams butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 sheet puff pastry (fresh)
- Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- Peel and quarter the pears.
- In an oven-proof frying pan (or in a shallow, round tart tin) melt the butter and grease the sides well. Remove from heat and sprinkle evenly with 3/4 cup of sugar. Spread the pears in circles with the round side down. Pack tightly and plug all holes with pears because they will shrink while cooking. Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar with 1 teaspoon of cardamom and sprinkle on the pears.
- On the stove, bring this to a boil until the sugar caramelizes. This process may take up 15 minutes, but you should watch carefully for the color change. When it's golden but not too dark, remove from heat.
- Spread the puff pastry on top of the fruit, tucking in the sides. Bake until golden brown for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn over immediately onto a large plate. Let cool a bit before serving.