Peanut butter oatmeal breakfast bars. A filling breakfast full of protein, fiber, and omega 3's ! They are gluten and dairy free!
Original Recipe here: http://joyfoodsunshine.com/lauras-peanut-butter-breakfast-bars/
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats (can use old fashioned but they will be chewier)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons protein powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 bananas (ripe and mashed)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- peanut butter (More, for the top, about ¼ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 square baking dish
- In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients (oats, almond meal, flaxseed, salt, cinnamon and protein powder if using), set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the banana. Add applesauce, honey, 2 TBS peanut butter and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet until combined. Spread mixture into the pan (should be moist but NOT soupy).
- Bake 20 minutes (should be slightly brown around the edges and top should be set), remove from oven and spread peanut butter over the top of the bars (I like a really thick layer of peanut butter but it’s to your own preference)
- Continue baking for 10 minutes more or until firm and lightly browned around the edges. At this point the peanut butter layer will have tiny little bubbles in it.
- Cool completely in the refrigerator and cut into 6 or 9 bars. Wrap each with plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in the fridge for a quick grab and go breakfast!
PER SERVING *
|Calories240Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.