This treat from Eastern Europe is sweet, creamy, and rich. You can skip the lemon meringue, enjoying the sweet taste of berries on meringue instead. Use the berries of your choice for differing colors and flavors. You can expect to spend about an ho…
r, so save them for occasions when you have time to make them.
- 4 egg whites
- 125 grams confectioner's sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 200 grams whipping cream
- 50 grams sugar
- berries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 150 Celsius.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Add the sugar, little by little, beating constantly. Beat for 5-10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cornstarch and vinegar.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a cup upside down on the paper and trace around it to form several circles. Cover with another piece of parchment paper so that the marking can be seen but not transfer onto the merengues.
- Form the meringue into rounds, using the marks as guides.
- Bake 40 minutes, until the meringues are crunchy but light in color and are easy to remove from the paper. Turn off the oven and open the door partway, letting the merengues rest there until cooled.
- Whip the cream together with the sugar. Top the merengues with the whipped cream and place the fruit on top to serve.
|Calories390Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.