Tacos al Pastor is a traditional dish developed in Central Mexico and is typically made with spit-grilled meat. Make your own version at home with this recipe for Pastor-style Tacos. Marinated in a homemade adobo and achiote paste sauce, the meat is then seared. Made with ancho chiles and Pasilla chiles, the adobo sauce is warm and spicy. This recipe uses pork steaks, but you can also use chicken strips as the meat. Serve with tortillas, coriander, onion, and pineapple for a make your own taco night al Pastor.
- 5 ancho chile pepper (seeded and soaked in hot water)
- 2 chilies (Pasilla, seeded and soaked in hot water)
- 4 cloves garlic (roasted)
- 1/2 onions (roasted)
- 5 allspice (grains)
- 1 clove
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup adobo sauce (above)
- 27.5 grams achiote paste
- pork steaks (or chicken breast strips)
- vegetable oil
- coriander (chopped)
- onions (chopped)
- pineapple (chopped, optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- In a blender, add the adobo sauce and achiote. Puree until smooth.
- Spread on the meat. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add oil and sear the meat.
- Serve on tortillas and add coriander, onion, and pineapple (optional).