Pastéis de Nata are rich Portuguese pastry tarts with an egg custard filling and a crisp, crackly crust. Common in Portugal, the Lusosphere countries and regions, this recipe ensures authentic results in your home kitchen. Once baked until the crust is golden brown and the filling is lightly browned, they need to cool before they're sprinkled with powdered sugar. However, they can be served warm or at room temperature.
- 460 grams pastry dough
- 60 grams flour
- 0.5 liters milk
- 1 lemon
- 350 grams sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Peel the lemon, set the peel aside for later, squeeze the juice from the lemon.
- Dilute the flour with 1/2 decaliter of milk by stirring them together into a soft batter with no lumps.
- Heat 1.2 decaliter of water, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir continuously and bring it to a boil for 3 to 4 minutes until it becomes a fluid and golden caramel.
- Pour the remaining milk into a saucepan, add the lemon peel, and bring it to a boil.
- Remove the lemon peel and stir in the caramel as soon as it is ready.
- Incorporate the flour and milk batter, add the egg yolks, and stir continuously until the cream is fluid.
- Season with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Roll up each rectangular sheet of dough from the short side to obtain a long, narrow cylinder. Cut each cylinder into 5 pieces, 5 centimeters in length.
- Place each little cylinder on its cut side, next press down with your finger so that the internal layers of the cylinder form a dome shape, it is important that the thickness of the dough be uniform (approximately 2.5 millimeters)
- Place the 10 puff pastry dough domes each inside a buttered and floured pan, 8 centimeters in diameter.
- Fill the domes to three-fourths with the cream.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The pasteis are done when the cream darkens and the surface caramelizes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1150Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat430|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.