Sardine pasta is one of the easiest, most satisfying, yet commonly underrated pasta dishes out there. The umami and salinity from the sardines adds a depth of flavor that compliments pasta extremely well. As an added bonus, canned sardines are shelf…
stable. That means sardines are easily stored in the pantry, making them an excellent candidate for an easy weeknight dinner when you don’t have time to go grocery shopping.
Sardines: Sardines can be enjoyed in all of your favorite pasta dishes. Like capers, sardines have a salty tang that can perk up a pasta sauce. Add them to puttanesca pasta, vodka sauce, or your favorite alfredo for an added depth of flavor.
Noodles: When it comes to noodles, just about anything works well in this dish. Whole wheat pasta, fettuccine, macaroni, or even a low-carb version like zoodles (zucchini noodles) an work.
Spice it up: Add red pepper flakes, chili flakes, or a dash of cayenne to make it a more puttanesca-style sauce. Make it creamy: Consider adding heavy cream or coconut cream to make it a creamy-style sauce.
Top it a variety of ways: Add diced tomatoes and caramelized yellow onion to make a more Sicilian pasta sauce, top with roasted pine nuts, or add some grated parmesan cheese to your recipe.
Sardine Pasta Recipe
Fresh and light, this Pasta with Sardines entree is a great lunch or dinner option when you want to light, yet filling meal. Tossed with steamed broccoli florets and sauteed garlic and sardine filets, this pasta dish is lightly flavored with fresh lime juice and parsley. Chopped almonds add a satisfying crunch to each bite of this tasty pasta entree. Add additional fresh herbs to your own preference. The lime juice can also be substituted with fresh lemon juice.
- 8 sardines (medium, in fillets)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1/2 head broccoli (cut into florets)
- 200 grams whole grain pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fennel seeds
- 1 ounce almonds (chopped)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 lime
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced)
- Rinse the sardines, pat dry, and chop.
- Mince the garlic.
- Steam the broccoli until just tender. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the pasta per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic and sardines. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of fennel seeds and cook until the sardines are golden brown.
- Add the almonds, broccoli, and pasta. Mix carefully and add the lime juice and zest. Season with a pinch of salt, black pepper, and sprinkle with parsley to garnish.
|Calories360Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.