This recipe for Pasta with Lentils is a great protein and fiber filled lunch or dinner entree for vegetarians and vegans, or those who simply want a pasta dish without meat. A thick and flavorful crushed tomato and orange sauce envelopes the cooked lentils, leaving you with a hearty sauce to serve over a bed of your favorite pasta. Be sure to let the lentils soak overnight before cooking. You can use any variety of lentils for this recipe.
- 100 grams lentils
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion (sliced into small cubes)
- 1 carrot (sliced into small cubes)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 100 milliliters orange juice
- 200 grams pasta (you can use any type of pasta)
- 425 grams crushed tomatoes (canned)
- ground black pepper
- bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Soak the lentils in warm water overnight.
- Boil the lentils using the same water in a large cooking pot at medium flame for 20 minutes.
- Heat a deep wide skillet with 1 dash olive oil at medium flame, then add the onion, carrot, garlic, and orange juice, and cook until you obtain a thick sauce.
- Heat water in a medium cooking pot at medium-high flame. Boil the pasta for 7 minutes and then strain it.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet where the sauce is and cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain the lentils, add them to the skillet, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, add the honey and bay leaves, mix, and serve the lentil sauce on top of the pasta.
PER SERVING *
|Calories390Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.