Pasta alla Norma (with Eggplant and Tomato)La Cocina de Babel
Pasta alla Norma is a traditional Sicilian pasta dish and typically features tomatoes, eggplant, and ricotta cheese. This recipe sticks closely to the traditional recipe as far as the main elements, incorporating the tomatoes into a delicious sauce and the fried eggplant into a tasty topping along with crumbled ricotta. Garnish with fresh herbs and basil. This vegetarian dish can be made with your favorite pasta variety, this recipe recommends spaghetti or macaroni.
- 350 grams dried pasta (spaghetti or macaroni)
- 2 eggplant (finely sliced)
- 500 grams tomatoes (ripe, chopped)
- 1 onions (finely sliced in rings)
- 200 grams ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- black pepper
- 1Sprinkle the eggplants with salt, leave to ‘sweat’ in a bowl until the bitter juices are released.
- 2Heat a drizzle of oil in a heavy pan and fry the onion until soft.
- 3Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and a teaspoon of sugar to negate the acidity of the tomatoes.
- 4Cook on a low heat for 20–30 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- 5Rinse and dry the eggplants.
- 6Heat a little more oil in a deep frying pan and fry the eggplant slices in batches until golden.
- 7Drain with absorbent paper towel and set aside.
- 8Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and mix with the tomato sauce.
- 9Add the eggplant, crumbled cheese, and basil leaves.
- 10Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
PER SERVING *
|Calories350Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.