- 2 1/2 pounds casings (Italian sweet sausages, removed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (thickly sliced)
- 3 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups crushed tomatoes (canned, with added puree)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 tomatoes (medium-large)
- 2 tablespoons butter (¼ stick)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/4 pounds pappardelle (or mafaldine, or any wide, flat noodles)
- 1 1/2 cups pecorino romano cheese (grated, abt 4 ½ oz)
- Saute sausage in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until brown, about 12 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- Add oil to drippings in pot. Add mushrooms and onions; saute until tender and brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chopped basil, oregano, and garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add wine; cook until almost absorbed, about 4 minutes. Add sausage and crushed tomatoes; cover and simmer over medium heat until thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and butter; simmer until tomatoes are soft, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well; return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Add 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup basil; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer pasta to serving dish. Serve, passing remaining cheese separately.
|Calories490Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.