Grated parmesan cheese gives these savory scones their distinctive flavor, while chili powder lends them a kick of spicy heat. When mixing and kneading the dough, its important not to overwork it, or the scones will be tough, not tender, after baking. Here, the dough is rolled out and cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter. Cut them out as close together as possible, and reroll the scraps once to cut out more rounds.
- 200 grams flour
- 130 grams cornflour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- chili powder
- 120 grams butter
- 130 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- 100 milliliters milk
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Sieve the flour and mix with the cornflour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and a pinch of chili powder.
- Add the butter, in pieces, and combine with the flour using the fingertips.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat 2 eggs with the milk.
- Add the egg and milk mixture to the flour mix and blend together using a fork.
- Using your hands, work into a smooth dough ball, adding flour as necessary if it appears too sticky.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 2-centimeters thick.
- Using a 6-centimeter cutter, cut into scones.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking and brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Gently remove the scones and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm.
|Calories740Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.