Give your salsa a tropical twist with ripe papayas. Serve along side ham or grilled tenderloin.
- 2 papayas (ripe, about 1 pound each)
- 2 plum tomatoes (seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno chile (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (OR flat-leaf parsley, chopped)
- 2 limes (finely grated)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Peel and seed the papaya and cut it into 1/4-inch dice. Place in a medium-size bowl. Gently fold the tomatoes, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro and lime zest into the papaya. Toss in the lime juice. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use, no longer than 4 hours.
- Makes about 4 cups.