Italian panna cotta (which just means "cooked milk") are wonderful dinner party desserts. The custards that are thickened with gelatin for the characteristic consistency. This recipe calls for using powdered gelatin, which is a quick and easy altern…
tive to the more traditional sheets that require softening before cooking. The sauce is made by cooking fresh strawberries with balsamic vinegar (a classic pairing) as well as brown sugar. Fresh mint is a bright garnish.
- 1 tablespoon gelatin powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 200 milliliters cream
- 2 teaspoons refined sugar (or fructose)
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 8 strawberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- mint leaves (to garnish)
- For the panna cotta, place gelatin powder in a bowl and add two tablespoons of water.
- Place cream and refined sugar in a saucepan.
- Halve vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds with a sharp knife.