- 1/4 pound pancetta (OR bacon, diced)
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup arborio rice (OR other short-grained rice)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- sage leaves (fresh, for garnish)
- In large shallow skillet sauté pancetta to render fat. Stir in onion and sauté, about 5 minutes, until tender. Heat chicken broth in medium saucepan and keep at a simmer. Add rice to the onion in skillet, cook and stir 1 minute; add wine and stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Using a soup ladle, add about 1/2 cup of broth to the skillet; stir until absorbed. Continue cooking, adding broth gradually and stirring almost constantly, until rice starts to soften, about 10 minutes. Add peas and continue cooking, adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, until rice is just tender but slightly firm in the center and mixture is creamy, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in cheese to melt; season with salt and pepper. Spoon into shallow bowls to serve garnished with fresh sage.
- Serves 4.