Grated orange zest and poppy seeds add much flavor (and the seeds a bit of crunch) to these pancakes, which also include ricotta cheese in the batter for the ultimate in taste and texture. Plus, the egg whites are beaten until stiff and then folded into the yolk mixture, resulting in pancakes that are light and fluffy. All you need is a slick of oil in the pan to keep the pancakes from sticking, and for foolproof flipping.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 eggs (separated, I used medium ones)
- 125 ricotta cheese (grs of)
- 100 milliliters milk (I used thin)
- oil (to grease and taste)
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a cup.
- Add orange zest and poppy seeds and mix well.
- Separate the eggs.
- Add the egg yolks and flour.
- Add the ricotta cheese and mix again.
- Pour the milk gradually and mix until all is homogeneous.
- Beat the egg whites.
- Grease a pan with oil removing the excess with a paper towel and heat.
- When hot, put spoonfuls of dough.
- When it starts to bubble, it is time to turn.
- Repeat the process.
- Pair with sweet homemade nectar.