- 2 cups flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1/3 pound button mushrooms (wiped and sliced)
- 1/2 pound carrots (peeled and very thinly sliced)
- 1/2 pound zucchini (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 pound frozen peas (defrosted)
- 1 pound full fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 pound low fat cottage cheese
- 5 tablespoons chopped parsley (fresh, plus extra sprigs to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons basil (fresh chopped)
- 2 ounces arugula leaves (finely chopped, plus extra leaves for garnish)
- 2 pounds salmon fillet (with skin, cut into large chunks)
- To make the strudel pastry, place the flour and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and stir in 1 of the eggs, 2 tbsp of the oil and 1/2 cup of cold water and mix into a dough. Knead vigorously for at least 10 mins until smooth. Cover and leave to rest for 30 mins.
- For the strudel filling, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and add the onions, mushrooms, carrots and zucchini. Sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until almost tender. Add the peas and cook for another minute. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and remove from the heat. Mix the cream cheese in a bowl with the remaining 2 eggs until smooth and season with freshly ground black pepper. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To assemble, place the pastry on a large floured dish towel and roll out as thinly as possible. To make even thinner, slide your hands between the towel and the pastry and stretch it out with the backs of your hands. Brush some of the melted butter on the pastry then gently spread it with the cream cheese mixture leaving a 2 inch border. Spoon the vegetables on top then fold in the pastry edges and roll into a long tube. Place seam-side down on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with the rest of the melted butter and sprinkle with ground black pepper. Bake for 35-40 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, mix the cottage cheese with chopped parsley, basil and arugula. Season, cover and chill.
- To prepare the salmon, heat the rest of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and sear over high heat for 5-6 mins, turning frequently, until just cooked through.
- To serve, slice the strudel and arrange on plates with the salmon and sauce. Garnish with arugula leaves and parsley sprigs.
PER SERVING *
|Calories790Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.