- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound shallots (finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 inches cinnamon (stick)
- 2 cloves
- 2 3/4 pounds red cabbage (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 3 oranges
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh thyme leaves (to garnish)
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the shallots and sauté for 2-3 mins. Sprinkle in the sugar and sauté for 1-2 mins. Add the stock, bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves. Add the cabbage and bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 mins.
- To prepare the orange segments, peel the oranges completely then use a sharp knife to remove the segments from the membranes. Reserve. Squeeze the juice from the orange peel and the membranes into the cabbage and stir.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the chicken breasts and season. Sauté for 8-12 mins, until cooked through. Season the cabbage and stir in the vinegar then gently fold in the orange segments. Slice the chicken breasts. Divide the cabbage between 4 bowls and lay the chicken on top. Garnish with thyme then serve.