Baking bread can be a wholesome, relaxing and rewarding experience. The aromas warm the home, and the results are tasty. This Pambazo Veracruzano or Veracruz-style Bread recipe takes 90 minutes to prepare. It is 370 calories per serving. The recipe calls for dry yeast, warm water, flour, salt, sugar, room temperature water, milk, and lard. It is crusty, tasty and bountiful bread that is perfect paired with any meats and cheeses for sandwiches.
- 7 grams dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup milk (at room temperature)
- 75 grams lard (or oil)
- Mix the yeast with the warm water and 1 1/4 cup of flour.
- Shape the dough into small, round loaf and cut a cross on top. Place the dough into a bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Allow it to sit for up to an hour.
- Add the salt, sugar, milk, and remaining flour and water and mix well using a an electric mixer.
- You should now have elastic and soft dough. Place this dough in a large bowl which has been lightly coated in lard or oil and cover it with plastic wrap. Place it in the refrigerator to sit overnight.
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the dough and allow it to sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Cut the dough into 120 gram portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place each ball of dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Let the dough rise for an hour. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories370Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.