Looks complicated, but it’s not: This classic Spanish rice dish boasts shrimp, pork sausage and fresh pork. Kissed with saffron, and enlivened with pimiento and green peas, this one-dish meal makes enough for a crowd. Just add a crusty loaf of bread to serve alongside. Any leftovers? They reheat nicely in the microwave.
- 1 pound boneless pork loin roast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 3/4 pound pork sausage links
- 3/4 cup green onions (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron (crushed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound shrimp (fresh medium, peeled)
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 2 ounces pimiento strips (drained)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- In a large skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven brown sausage over medium heat. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet; set sausage aside. Add pork to skillet with green onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until pork is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Return sausage to pan with chicken broth, rice, salt, oregano, saffron and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes. Add shrimp, peas, pimiento and parsley. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove bay leaf.