- 4 cups water (divided)
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 8 slices carrot
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 pieces fish cake (sliced)
- 1 bunch spinach (lightly boiled and drained)
- 4 mochi
- 1 yuzu (or Meyer lemon zest)
- In a medium stockpot, add water, chicken, carrots, sake, and salt. Simmer for 20 minutes, skimming to remove any scum that rises to the top. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add soy sauce and adjust salt to taste. Slice up the shiitake mushrooms and fish cake, then add them to the soup.
- Lay down a sheet of aluminum foil in a toaster oven then toast the mochi until the top begins to puff up and turn golden brown.
- To serve, place 1-2 pieces of grilled mochi at the bottom of each bowl, then add a few slices of chicken. Then place a few pieces of spinach in each bowl. Add the soup along with two slices of carrot, shiitake mushrooms and fish cake.
- Garnish with yuzu zest and serve.