This is the perfect dish to make for a brunch! You assemble the night before and bake in the morning.
- 1 whole wheat bread (‐pound loaf, rustic type loaf, not sandwich bread)
- 2 medium zucchini (7” x 2”)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 12 mild italian turkey sausage (‐ounces fresh)
- 1 cup sliced leeks (quartered and thinly, light green and white parts only)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (chopped, patted dry)
- 2 cups gruyere cheese (shredded, approx. ½ pound)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 11 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Slice the bread into ¾” cubes. Spread them in a single layer on a large sheet pan. Bake for about 15 minute or until dry and toasted.
- Spray a 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish with non-‐stick cooking spray or grease with a little butter.
- Trim ends off zucchini and cut to fit spiralizer (if necessary). Use fine spiralizing blade to spiralize zucchini. You will need 4-‐cups of spiralized zucchini.
- In a large skillet (12-‐inch) over medium heat, add 1-‐tablespoon oil. Remove sausage from casing and drop bite-‐sized pieces into skillet. Brown sausage in the skillet for about 5 minutes; break up any pieces that are too large. Remove browned sausage to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet, if needed. Add leeks and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add zucchini to pan and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until all liquid has been released and evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Spread half the bread cubes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Then arrange half the sausage, half the zucchini mixture and half the roasted peppers over the bread. Sprinkle on half the Gruyere cheese and half the Parmesan cheese. Add another layer of bread, sausage, zucchini, roasted peppers and Gruyere. Reserve the remaining Parmesan until the end.
- In stand mixer bowl, using wire whip, combine eggs, milk, mustard, pepper, Italian seasoning and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Whip on medium-‐high speed until well combined and starting to froth. Slowly pour the egg mixture evenly over the entire dish. Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, place dish, uncovered on a large baking sheet in center of oven. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. When fully preheated, set timer and bake for 30 minutes. Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees F. and tent dish with foil. Bake for 30-‐40 minutes or until the center is cooked through.
Sourdough & Sausage StrataThe Gourmet RD
Bacon and Cheese StrataThe Pioneer Woman
Overnight Egg and Breakfast Sausage StrataJust a Taste
Cheese Sausage StrataTaste of Home
Italian Sausage StrataFeeding Big
Italian Alfredo Broccoli StrataRagú
Cheddar Breakfast StrataCDKitchen
Sausage-Fontina StrataGood Housekeeping
Overnight Egg and Cheese StrataLeite's Culinaria
Sausage-Kale StrataThe Pioneer Woman
Holiday Breakfast Strata with Sausage (or Not)Kitchen Treaty
Bacon and Cheese Breakfast StrataKitchen Trials
Ham and Cheese StrataFood Republic
Italian Breakfast StrataLove Bakes Good Cakes
Overnight Asparagus & Mushroom StrataThe Naptime Chef
Overnight Egg StrataSugar Aunts
Sausage Breakfast Bagel StrataCooking and Beer
Spinach and Cheese StrataAnnie's Eats
Cheese And Mushroom StrataChatelaine
Overnight Reuben StrataThis Is How I Cook
Bacon and Cheese StrataTasty Kitchen
Spinach & Cheese StrataOnce Upon A Chef
Cheese Sausage StrataTaste of Home
Overnight Sourdough Breakfast StrataCultures for Health