There’s no need to stand over the stove flipping slices of French toast when you make a French toast casserole. You can prep the afternoon or night before, refrigerate overnight, and pop it in the oven the next morning for an easy breakfast. This version of the recipe features a generous amount of eggnog, whole eggs, rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans, all with tender brioche bread or challah bread. Get ready for the kitchen to smell amazing when you pull it out of the oven. The recipe is a Yummly original created by Ashley Strickland Freeman.
- cooking oil spray (or vegetable oil)
- 16 oz. French brioche bread (thick-sliced, or challah bread; or buy an uncut loaf and slice 1 inch thick)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups eggnog (refrigerated)
- 2 Tbsp. rum (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
- maple syrup (for serving)
- Coat a 9x11-inch or other shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking oil spray. Arrange the bread slices slightly overlapping in the dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, eggnog, rum, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Carefully pour mixture over the bread.
- Press bread down into the dish, ensuring all of the slices are covered with egg mixture. Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight; just before going to bed, gently press the bread down again into the egg mixture.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories390Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes