While whelks are not a common ingredient in the United States, they are worth scouring specialty food shops and online sources to get your hands on some, if for no other reason than to prepare them in this scrumptious casserole. Or you can just omit them and proceed, since the dish will still be worth making without them, what with the delectable cheese topping that melts and turns a wonderful shade of golden brown in the oven.
- 4 cans tuna
- 1 can diced tomatoes (peeled)
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 2/3 package pasta shells
- 2 eggs
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 onions (small, diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- At the same time, bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook the eggs. In a pan drizzled with olive oil, saute the onion and garlic.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the mushrooms and a little salt. Stir and let cook.
- Once mushrooms have browned, add the tomatoes.
- Cover and let simmer.
- Add the drained tuna and season to taste. Stir and remove from heat. Drain the pasta thoroughly and rinse with cold water.
- In a baking dish, layer the pasta, then the tuna and top with the sliced cooked eggs.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place in a preheated oven until the cheese melts and browns a bit.