- 9 pounds pork blade roast (bone-in, OR fresh picnic shoulder)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1/2 cup dijon (style mustard)
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 250 degree F. Mix brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder in small bowl. Pat roast dry and place on rack set over foil-lined shallow baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle top and sides of roast with salt, brush with half the mustard and sprinkle with half the spice rub. Carefully turn roast over. Sprinkle with a little salt, brush with remaining mustard and sprinkle with remaining spice rub. Roast until meat thermometer registers 170 degree F, 9 to 11 hours, depending on size. Transfer pork to platter and cool enough to handle, about 1 hour. Cut roast into 1- to 2-inch chunks and shred meat into a large bowl. Add enough pan drippings to moisten pork and stir to combine.