These ribs are browned in a hot oven, then sauced and cooked slowly to melting tenderness. Serve with cole slaw, corn on the cob and corn muffins.
- 4 pounds pork spareribs (cut into 4-rib portions)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup onions (thin slices)
- 3/4 cup lemon (thin slices)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange ribs in shallow baking pan. Roast ribs for 30 minutes; reduce oven to temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In medium saucepan stir together ketchup, chili sauce, sugar, mustard, celery seed, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour half ketchup mixture over ribs, layer with half onions and lemons. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Top with remaining sauce, onions and lemons. Cover with foil, continue baking 30 minutes.
- Serves 6.
- Wine suggestion: Pour a chilled rose or vin gris; for a red pour a Zinfandel.