- 2 filet mignon steaks (about 1 " thick)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- raw honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 shrimp (sweet water, with tails on, available at most Asian markets)
- 2 egg whites (whisked)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup panko (Oriental bread bread crumbs)
- 5 ounces pastry (Kataifi, shredded phyllo)
- oil (for frying, brushing and grilling, a neutral oil such as Safflower is best)
- Combine the first three ingredients in a shallow dish and add the filet mignon steaks. Spoon the marinade over them until they are well covered, set aside for about 30 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
- Heat oven to 400o.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment, and divide the kataifi into two neat rounds. Drizzle lightly with a neutral oil, and bake until golden and crisp. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the corn starch, whisked egg whites and panko in separate bowls.
- Roll each shrimp first in the corn starch, then in the egg whites and the in the panko. Pat them firmly with your palms to make sure the panko sticks well. Set aside on paper towels on a plate or tray. Repeat with the rest of the shrimp.
- Fill a large deep skillet with oil (such as Safflower or Canola), enough to cover the shrimp when frying.
- Turn BBQ to high. Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan until very hot, and fry the shrimp, turning once or twice, for about 2 minutes until golden. Place back on paper towels and set aside in a lightly warmed oven.
- When BBQ is very hot, remove steaks from marinade and grill on high for about 3-4 minutes on each side. While the steaks are grilling, add the rice vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and ginger to the remaining marinade, and warm it up in a small saucepan until boiling, then set aside.
- To serve: On each dinner plate place one mound of kataifi, topped by sliced filet mignon, drizzle with 2 spoonfuls of marinade and top with 2 fried shrimp. Serve with your favorite steamed vegetable(s) or stir fry.
PER SERVING *
|Calories270Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.