- 125 grams butter
- 250 grams sugar
- 190 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Orange (juice)
- 100 grams chocolate powder
- 8 egg whites
- 140 milliliters water
- 250 grams sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 100 grams baking chocolate
- 3 chocolate cream-filled round wafers (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Cake Preparation:
- In a bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, orange juice, and chocolate powder. Beat with an electric mixer until well mixed.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of fine salt until they are stiff and fold carefully, without beating, into the batter.
- Bake in a cake pan greased with butter and floured for about 40 minutes.
- Syrup Preparation:
- In a saucepan, prepare a light syrup with the water and sugar. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Mix the yolks with a fork and add to the saucepan with the sugar syrup.
- Mix well, and bring back to simmer, while stirring, until thickened.
- Chocolate Decorations Preparation:
- Melt the chocolate (if in the microwave, heat for 30 seconds at full power, stir well, then another 30 seconds and repeat until melted).
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a working surface.
- Place the melted chocolate in a pastry bag and squeeze out the desired designs on the parchment paper.
- Cake Assembly:
- Remove the cake from the pan while still warm, and cut it horizontally in two.
- Cover the bottom layer of cake with a layer of syrup and then the crumbled wafers.
- Place with the second layer of cake on top, and cover with the remaining syrup.
- To decorate, let the chocolate harden enough to be able to release it from the parchment paper and fit to the side of the cake. Use the piping bag to decorate the top.