When making roulades such as this one, there are a few tips to help them turn out right. First, after baking, turn the jelly roll cake out onto a clean kitchen towel that's been dusted with sugar to keep it from sticking. Then you will actually roll up the cake and the towel into a cylinder to help set the shape before unrolling, filling, and rerolling (this time without incorporating the towel!).
- 6 large eggs
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Orange (zested and juiced)
- 3 oranges (juiced)
- 50 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Beat eggs and sugar.
- Add sifted cornstarch, orange juice and zest.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Grease a baking sheet, line with parchment paper and sprinkle with sugar.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked.
- Invert cake onto a tea towel and remove parchment paper.
- Use tea towel to gently roll up cake and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Heat juice of two oranges and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, combine juice of third orange with remaining cornstarch and add to the boiling mixture.
- Remove from heat and whisk until slightly thickened.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Unroll the cake.
- Spread an even coating of orange filling over the top of cake.
- Roll cake back into a tight spiral. Remove the towel.