Orange RollO Meu Tempero
When making roulades such as this one, there are a few tips to help them turn out right. First, after baking, turn the jelly roll cake out onto a clean kitchen towel that's been dusted with sugar to keep it from sticking. Then you will actually roll up the cake and the towel into a cylinder to help set the shape before unrolling, filling, and rerolling (this time without incorporating the towel!).
- 6 large eggs
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 orange (zested and juiced)
- 3 orange (juiced)
- 50 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 2Beat eggs and sugar.
- 3Add sifted cornstarch, orange juice and zest.
- 4Whisk until smooth.
- 5Grease a baking sheet, line with parchment paper and sprinkle with sugar.
- 6Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet.
- 7Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked.
- 8Invert cake onto a tea towel and remove parchment paper.
- 9Use tea towel to gently roll up cake and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- 10Heat juice of two oranges and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 11In a separate bowl, combine juice of third orange with remaining cornstarch and add to the boiling mixture.
- 12Remove from heat and whisk until slightly thickened.
- 13Cool to room temperature.
- 14Unroll the cake.
- 15Spread an even coating of orange filling over the top of cake.
- 16Roll cake back into a tight spiral. Remove the towel.