These cupcakes are as fragrant as they are flavorful, thanks to the step of infusing the milk with a cinnamon stick and the grated zest of two oranges (that's a lot of zest!). The milk (and orange zest) is then mixed with the remaining ingredients, including six egg yoks and melted butter, which means these cupcakes have an ultra moist texture and extra rich taste. Baking in a hot water bath ensures they also have a silky smooth consistency.
- butter (for greasing pans)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 oranges (zest)
- 500 grams sugar
- 180 grams flour
- 6 large eggs
- 8 grams milk
- 80 grams butter (melted)
- Grease muffin tins or individual cupcake pans with butter.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- In a saucepan, heat milk, cinnamon stick and orange zest.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. In a bowl, mix sugar and flour.
- Add eggs and stir well.
- Remove cinnamon stick from pan and gradually add warm milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add melted butter and stir until combined.
- Distribute evenly into muffin tin.
- Place a kitchen towel on the bottom of a baking tray and arrange the cups on top of the cloth.
- Carefully pour boiling water onto towel, so that it reaches halfway up the height of the pans. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven.
- Use a knife to remove cake from each individual cup.
- Place each one in a paper cupcake liner.