Grilled chops are basted with the same flavorful coconut-orange mixture in which the spinach braises. Serve with hot cooked rice and warm flour tortillas.
- 4 pork chops (1-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup coconut (flaked)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound fresh spinach (cleaned, stems removed, coarsely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons coconut (toasted)
- Place coconut and orange juice in blender or food processor. Blend until nearly smooth. Strain, pressing liquid from solids; discard solids. Add salt and hot pepper sauce to orange juice mixture; divide in half and reserve.
- Prepare medium-hot coals in covered kettle style grill. Meanwhile place spinach in large skillet; drizzle with half of orange juice mixture; cover and simmer 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Set aside and keep warm. Grill chops for 10-12 minutes, turning once and basting with remaining half of orange juice mixture until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by a 3-minute rest time.
- Divide steamed spinach among 4 plates; top each with a chop and garnish with toasted coconut.
- Serves 4.
- Wine suggestion: Serve with a chilled Riesling.