Chiffon cake is one of those classic cakes that is perenially popular, perhaps because it has such a singular texture that's created by having beaten egg whites folded into the batter. This kind of cake is always made with oil rather than butter, to…
, for a softer crumb and more delicate taste. Orange is one the more classic flavors, as in this recipe, where the zest and juice are added. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the middle; it shold come out clean.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 orange (zested)
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- margarine (for greasing pan)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Mix sugar and flour.
- Add oil, juice, orange zest, salt and egg yolks.
- Beat with the electric mixer for 15-20 minutes.
- Separately whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form and carefully fold into flour mixture.
- Add baking powder.
- Pour in a Bundt pan greased with margarine and smooth the surface.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove from pan and immediately place on the serving plate.
- Let cake cool completely.
- Serve cold.