Open-faced Ham and Egg TapasEl invitado de invierno
Bring a little Spanish flair to any event with these Open-faced Ham and Egg Tapas. Featuring a layer of thin homemade flatbread topped with pancetta and a fried quail egg, these Open-faced Ham and Egg Tapas are simple but absolutely savory. The bread dough is a yeasted dough made from a combination of flours and yields many small rolls, making this a great appetizer option when you are hosting or cooking for a large event.
- 500 grams bread flour
- 620 grams all-purpose flour
- 78 milliliters water
- 22 grams salt
- 1/2 gram active dry yeast (instant)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- quail eggs
- 1 slice pancetta
- 1Start by making the sourdough starter. Mix together 120 grams all-purpose flour, 78 grams water, 2 grams salt, and 1/2 gram yeast. Do not knead. Let sit to double and a half in volume.
- 2While it rises, mix together the bread flour, 500 grams of all-purpose flour, 450 milliliters water, and 20 grams salt. Knead for 3 minutes in a kitchen stand mixer.
- 3Add in the sourdough starter and continue kneading until the glutens start to form.
- 4Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- 5Roll the dough out many times (either with a rolling pin or a pasta dough attachment) until smooth and shiny.
- 6Pinch off sections of dough about the size of a walnut in its shell. Roll into a ball. Roll out into a thin circle about 5 to 6 centimeters in diameter. Pierce the top with fork tines.
- 7Add the dough to a baking sheet topped with parchment paper or silicone and bake until golden.
- 8While the bread bakes, heat up the olive oil in a skillet. Fry the quail eggs over medium heat.
- 9Top the bread with some pancetta and a quail egg. Serve.
- 10This recipe makes many rolls, so buy as many quail eggs as sandwiches you want to make. Do the same with the pancetta.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1070Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.