Cold rainy days call for a hot soup for dinner in order to warm you up from the inside out. This recipe for onion soup should do just the trick. Slow cooked onions and leeks are the base of this savory soup. Seasoned with sage and garlic, broth is then added and simmered. Topped with toasted bread and cheese, the soup is then broiled in oven-proof bowls until the cheese is melty and golden. Top with a drop of worcestershire sauce and a sage leaf and serve.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- extra-virgin olive oil (Drizzle of)
- 1 bunch sage (+ extra for garnish)
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 8 onions (medium to large, may use a variety: red, white, shallots, peeled and finely chopped)
- 300 grams leeks (finely sliced, optional)
- chicken stock (1 lt., If using leeks, add a little extra)
- bread (Baguette, 2–3 slices per person)
- cheddar cheese (Freshly grated)
- ground black pepper
- In a large, heavy based saucepan, heat the oil and butter.
- Add the garlic and sage. Stir and then add the onions.
- Season to taste and cook on a very low heat for 1 hour until very soft.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oven or grill to maximum.
- Divide the soup into oven proof bowls, toast the bread, and add 1 or 2 slices to each bowl.
- Sprinkle the bread with cheddar cheese, a drop of worcestershire sauce, and a sage leaf.
- Place under a hot grill or oven until the cheese melts and begins to bubble.
PER SERVING *
|Calories330Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.