The classic chocolate cake with vanilla frosting gets an easy sheet-cake makeover, but it's still over-the-top rich and decadent, with a moist crumb, subtle coffee flavor, and loads of fluffy, buttery frosting. Birthday cakes don't get any better, but why wait? Is it cake o'clock yet? The recipe is a Yummly Original created by Jessie Sheehan.
- nonstick cooking spray (or softened butter)
- all purpose flour (optional, for pan)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract (for cake)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt (for cake)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 salt (for frosting)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (room temperature)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract (for frosting)
- sparkling sugar (for sprinkling, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper or dust with flour, shaking out any excess. Set pan aside.
- Place the oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer bowl or large mixing bowl. Blend with the paddle attachment (or hand mixer) on medium speed to combine, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories640Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes