These make wonderful snacks or salty nibbles to go with cocktails. To make them, pitted olives (whichever type you like most, or use a variety), are wrapped up in a simple dough that's flecked with grated Parmesan cheese and baked to golden brown perfection. The dough needs to chill for at least a half hour before rolling out and cutting into rounds, and then the wrapped olives need to chill for at least two hours before cooking.
- 20 pitted olives (green or black)
- 50 grams flour
- 30 grams butter
- 30 grams fresh parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Drain olives and pat dry with a cloth.
- Mix flour and butter.
- Add cheese and cold water.
- Shape dough into a ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough and cut out small circles.
- Place an olive on each circle, and close dough around olive to form a ball shape.
- Repeat steps until all dough and olives have been used.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 170°C (approximately 350°F).
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.