Olive Oil Bread RollsL'Antro dell'Alchimista
To make these rustic rolls, you start by making a starter dough, which has to rest overnight in the refrigerator. Then this starter is mixed with more flour and yeast and requires a few other, briefer rising times, over the course of the day. To achieve the desired texture, the rolls are started with a pan of water in the oven, since the steam allows the inside to form the desired air pockets, and then finished without the steam, so the outside takes on a crisp crust.
- 200 grams strong flour
- 90 milliliters water
- 2 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 1,000 grams flour
- 580 grams water
- 70 grams extra-virgin olive oil
- 14 grams salt
- 12 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 10 grams lard (optional)
- 10 grams lecithin (or 1 large egg yolk)
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the water and combine 90 grams of the flour. Allow the mixture to rise (approximately 2 hours).
- 2Add the remaining flour and knead by hand just enough to incorporate.
- 3Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight at 10 to 12C.
- 4Remove the starter from the refrigerator.
- 5Dissolve the soy lecithin in a little warm water.
- 6Dissolve the yeast in the remaining water and add as much flour necessary to make a creamy mixture.
- 7Cover and let it rest for 1 hour.
- 8Then add the lecithin, 2/3 of the remaining flour, and the starter, broken into pieces, to the mixture in a mixer bowl and turn on the mixer to low speed.
- 9When the mixture is well incorporated, add the lard (or 2 tablespoons of olive oil) and the salt, add the flour when the other ingredients have been completely incorporated.
- 10Increase the mixer speed and add the oil gradually, scraping down the bowl if necessary.
- 11Knead until the dough is smooth, shape it into a ball and cover the bowl.
- 12After 15 minutes, refrigerate the dough at 4 to 5C for at least 4 hours.
- 13Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- 14Place the dough on a work surface, and without kneading it, cut the dough into pieces (any shape you wish) weighing 80 grams each. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and let rise until they double in size.
- 15Brush the surface with extra virgin olive oil and bake at 220C with a pan of water in the oven for the steam.
- 16After 10 minutes, remove the pan of water and finish baking at 180C.
- 17Remove the rolls from the oven and cool. It is also possible to freeze the rolls once they have cooled completely.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1300Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.