Great for when you want something crunchy, like at a party. Serve with coffee, or buried under scrambled eggs. Use them in place of bread sticks at your next Italian meal. They are loaded with almonds and figs to give them a hint of the Middle East.
- 130 grams wheat flour
- 80 grams corn flour
- baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 120 milliliters olive oil
- 120 grams sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- 75 grams dried figs (cut into small pieces)
- 75 grams slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 175 °C.
- Mix the flours and the baking powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer beat eggs, olive oil, sugar, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt for 3 to 4 minutes at high speed until the mixture is pale.
- Add flour mixture. The dough should get sticky.
- Add almonds and figs, mix.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread the dough to 30-35 centimeters long by 10-12 centimeters wide.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown on top, and a little more cooked at the corners.
- Remove from oven; let cool for 15 minutes.
- Gently move dough to a cutting board.
- Lower the oven temperature to 150 C.
- Cut into 2 centimeter thick slices.
- Arrange cakes on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until dough gets harder and a little more crispy.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Store for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
- Serve with chocolate mousse, a fruit salad, or a scoop of ice cream.
PER SERVING *
|Calories100Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.