A natural flavor combination for autumn: ribs, apples, and sauerkraut. This meal-in-a-pot would be nicely accompanied with sliced rye bread and cold beer or iced tea.
- 4 pounds pork spareribs (trimmed to fit into slow cooker, cut in 2-rib portions)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 small red potatoes (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 red onion (small, peeled and sliced)
- 1 pound sauerkraut (refrigerated, rinsed and drained)
- 2 red apples (small, cored and sliced 1/4--inch think)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed (coarsely crushed)
- In large nonstick skillet brown ribs in oil over high heat. Place in 3 1/2-4-quart slow cooker with potatoes, onion, sauerkraut and apples. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over. Cook, covered, on Low 6-8 hours (or on High for 3-4 hours).