Octopus with Seasoned PotatoesHoje para Jantar
If you are lucky enough live near a fish market that sells octopus, by all means buy a couple for using in this simple recipe. First the octopus is simmered with onion until just tender, then it's briefly baked with potatoes (here cooked in a microwave), bell pepper, garlic, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve as a starter course, sprinkled with cilantro, and with crusty bread for sopping up the juices.
- 2 octopuses (medium)
- 1 onions
- 6 potatoes
- 6 bay leaves
- 1/2 red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 250 milliliters olive oil
- 2 stalks cilantro (chopped)
- 1Cook octopus and onion in a pan of boiling water.
- 2Cook until onion is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3Scrub potatoes.
- 4Make 2 lengthwise shallow cuts in each potato.
- 5Place 1/2 bay leaf in each cut.
- 6Roll potatoes in salt and place them in a microwave-safe container.
- 7Select maximum power and program 20 minutes.
- 8Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- 9When the potatoes are ready, remove them from the container, shake off excess salt and mash slightly in a cloth.
- 10Place the potatoes in a baking pan with the octopus.
- 11Season octopus with a pinch of salt.
- 12Add the sliced peppers and garlic.
- 13Drizzle with olive oil.
- 14Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes to cook pepper.
- 15To serve, remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro.