Oaxaca Style TamalesMadeleine Cocina
Tamales are a traditional recipe made by many different culturals. This recipe is for a Oaxaca Style Tamale. Tamales are often prepared during the holidays and passed around to family members to share in dining together. These Oaxaca Style Tamales are packed with flavor and style. Try these Oaxaca Style Tamales and let us know your thoughts in the comments below. We hope you enjoy them! You can also give this recipe a star rating.
- 500 grams dough (tortilla)
- 250 grams vegetable shortening (melted at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon water (cold, you can put it in the freezer for 15 minutes)
- 1 cup pork stock (you can obtain the stock when you cook the pork in this recipe)
- 500 grams pork (legs)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green bell pepper
- 1 onions
- 1 cup mole sauce (can be found under the brand Doña Maria in most Latin American supermarkets)
- banana leaves (cut in large squares)
- salt (as desired)
- 1Place the pork legs, bay leaves, green bell peppers, onion, and salt in a pressure cooker, and let it cook for 15 minutes on high once the steam is coming out.
- 2Let it cool off and shred the pork legs.
- 3Mix the vegetable shortening and water until soft using a whisk.
- 4Slowly add 1 tablespoon tortilla dough and 1 cup pork stock to the vegetable shortening while mixing. Repeat until you add all the dough to the shortening.
- 5Prepare the mole sauce by following the instructions in the package and mix it with the pork legs.
- 6Carefully heat the banana leaves on the stove. This should soften them.
- 7Place the banana leaves on the counter, spread 3 tablespoons tamales dough in the middle of each leaf, and spread enough mole/pork mix over the dough.
- 8Fold both sides of the banana leaves into the center (lengthwise) and then fold the shorter outer portions into the center as well. The edges should be facing the counter.
- 9Cook the tamales in a steamer for 1 hour.
- 10Let them cool off for 10 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1360Calories from Fat990|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat990|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.