- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup sour cherries (dried, Rough Chopped)
- 300 grams butter (chilled, Cut In ½" Pieces)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- This recipe uses whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and rolled oats for a hearty texture. Brush the top of each scone with heavy cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar for a crisp, glimmering finish. Serve scones fresh from the oven with butter, jam, or that British favorite, clotted cream.
- Freezing the dough for at least two hours before baking keeps scones from spreading too much. The dough will keep in the freezer for up to three weeks, so keep some on hand for the overnight guests you might have this holiday season.
- Line an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all dry ingredients, except sanding sugar, with the cherries in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add butter, and mix on medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, and mix until combined.
- Turn out the mixture onto a clean work surface. With hands, quickly pat mixture into a 16-by-3 1/2-inch rectangle that is 1 1/2-inches high. Score rectangle into ten triangles. Cover with plastic wrap, and transfer to the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350F. Remove dough from the freezer, and cut into triangles with a sharp knife. Place scones two inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Brush scones with heavy cream, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until lightly golden, about 30 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1290Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.