Not the most healthy item on the menu, but it’s so good. So to lighten up my favorite dish, I turned it into this Orange Chicken Fried Rice. The name of this recipe should actually have quotes around the word “fried”…like that. It’s not actually fried, but it tastes just as good as if it was – if not better.
- 10 ounces brown rice (bags of Steamfresh Whole Grain)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1 cup frozen peas (defrosted)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (for garnish)
- Make the orange sauce by combining the garlic, orange juice, honey, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Heat the rice in the microwave according to the package directions and set aside.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat up the canola oil over high heat, then add in the ground chicken.
- Brown the chicken while breaking up with a wooden spoon until completely cooked through.
- Pour the orange sauce over the chicken and stir to combine.
- Cook for 2 -3 minutes until the sauce is almost all absorbed into the chicken.
- Next add in the steamed rice, the frozen peas, and the scallions.
- Stir together just to heat up the ingredients, top with the grated orange zest and serve.
|Calories540Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.