Nutella is a quick and delicious filling for this jelly-roll cake. Before using, the Nutella is made more spreadable by heating the whole jar in a saucepan filled with water, just until slightly liquidy. The sponge cake is extremely easy to work with and very pliable, meaning this is a great dessert for even novice bakers. Once filled and rolled, you'll need to refrigerate the roulade for a few hours before slicing and serving, dusted with powdered sugar if desired.
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 100 grams flour
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a jar full of Nutella in a small saucepan over a double boiler, just enough for the nutella to become fluid, then set it aside for later in a warm area so it does not thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a rectangular baking sheet with lightly buttered and floured wax paper.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and add them to the egg yolk mixture, then carefully fold in the flour in spoonfuls.
- Pour the batter into the baking sheet evenly.
- Bake it for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, turn it over onto a slightly damp kitchen towel and remove the wax paper.
- Spread a generous amount of Nutella all over the cake, then roll it up.
- Place the cake roll on a serving platter, refrigerate for a few hours, and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories400Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.