Nua CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Nua cake, or Torta Nua, is a sponge cake that’s filled with two types of cream—one plain, the other chocolate--which are similar to what you find in a cannoli, meaning utterly delicious. The butterless cake relies on extra-virgin olive oil for moisture and a subtle hint of flavor. Once the batter is in the cake pan, the two creams are dolloped on top and the cake bakes up around them. It’s easy and unexpected, perfect for everyday or for casual entertaining.
- 360 grams all-purpose flour
- 300 grams sugar
- 5 eggs
- 40 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil
- 600 milliliters milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- lemon zest
- 50 grams milk chocolate
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- 1Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- 2Add 1 egg, 500 milliliters of milk, 120 grams of sugar, 60 grams of flour, and 1 teaspoon vanilla, and a small amount of lemon zest in a bowl. Mix well using an electric mixer on low speed.
- 3Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook it on low heat stirring continuously until it becomes a thick cream.
- 4Allow the cream to cool and melt the two chocolates using a double boiler or in the microwave.
- 5Once the cream has cooled, divide it into two bowls.
- 6Add the melted chocolate to one of the bowls. Stir it well until it is blended well.
- 7Beat the remaining and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer on low speed.
- 8Add a small amount of lemon zest and remaining vanilla and continue mixing.
- 9Slowly pour the oil and continue mixing.
- 10Add the remaining milk and mix for a few seconds.
- 11Add the flour sifted with the baking powder and combine all the ingredients until completely incorporated.
- 12Lightly oil and flour a 9-inch cake pan. Pour the batter into the pan.
- 13Add spoonfuls of plain cream alternating with spoonfuls of chocolate cream atop the cake’s surface.
- 14Bake the cake for 45 minutes. Allow the cake to cool and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1040Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.