Nua cake, or Torta Nua, is a sponge cake that’s filled with two types of cream—one plain, the other chocolate--which are similar to what you find in a cannoli, meaning utterly delicious. The butterless cake relies on extra-virgin olive oil for moisture and a subtle hint of flavor. Once the batter is in the cake pan, the two creams are dolloped on top and the cake bakes up around them. It’s easy and unexpected, perfect for everyday or for casual entertaining.
- 360 grams all purpose flour
- 300 grams sugar
- 5 eggs
- 40 milliliters extra virgin olive oil
- 600 milliliters milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- lemon zest
- 50 grams milk chocolate
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Add 1 egg, 500 milliliters of milk, 120 grams of sugar, 60 grams of flour, and 1 teaspoon vanilla, and a small amount of lemon zest in a bowl. Mix well using an electric mixer on low speed.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook it on low heat stirring continuously until it becomes a thick cream.
- Allow the cream to cool and melt the two chocolates using a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Once the cream has cooled, divide it into two bowls.
- Add the melted chocolate to one of the bowls. Stir it well until it is blended well.
- Beat the remaining and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer on low speed.
- Add a small amount of lemon zest and remaining vanilla and continue mixing.
- Slowly pour the oil and continue mixing.
- Add the remaining milk and mix for a few seconds.
- Add the flour sifted with the baking powder and combine all the ingredients until completely incorporated.
- Lightly oil and flour a 9-inch cake pan. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Add spoonfuls of plain cream alternating with spoonfuls of chocolate cream atop the cake’s surface.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes. Allow the cake to cool and serve.
|Calories1040Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.