Nourish BowlTia Mowry
We discovered a version of this dish in New York city while Cory was promoting the movie American Sniper. Quinoa has become quite a popular ingredient, but I had never seen it served with an egg. I was instantly impressed by the many different textures and flavors of the combination; the quinoa is chewy and nutty, while the shiitake mushrooms are earthy and almost meaty. The egg gives it a heartiness and substance, while the collards lift the whole dish with their crispy, green crunch. I was so taken with it, I went ahead and created a kicked-up version that includes hot sauce--yum! This is a great dish to serve at any meal. Use the cinnamon when you make it for breakfast!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (or tamari (Gluten-Free if you use Tamari))
- sea salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus more as needed)
- 6 ounces shiitake (caps thinly sliced, remove and discard the stems)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- crispy collard chips
- hot sauce (to taste, optional)
- 1 In a medium pot, add the quinoa, broth, garlic, cinnamon (if you’re using it), and soy sauce (or tamari). Season with salt. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, shaking the pan once or twice (no need to stir the mushrooms vigorously as they won’t brown well if you fuss with them too much), until the mushrooms are tender and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer them to a dish and set aside.
- 3Return the skillet to the stove over medium-low heat. Add a few more drops of oil to the pan. Crack the eggs, one at a time, into the skillet. Cook until the edges crisp up and the egg white look set, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Divide the cooked quinoa between four deep bowls. Top each bowl with shiitake mushrooms, collard chips, 1 egg, and a few dashes of hot sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories310Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.