Nopal SoupMadeleine Cocina
Nopal cactus has been a versatile and tasty part of Mexican diets for a very long time. The cactus pieces provide a crunchy texture to any dish. This Nopal soup is aromatic, creamy and hearty. This recipe combines nopales with hearty spices and flavors for a powerful palate pleasing soup. It not only is low in calories, it also tastes great and is perfect for a cold winter day. Enjoy!
- 1/2 pound nopales (washed and cut in to squares.)
- 1 onions (cut in half)
- 2 sprigs coriander
- 4 chile pepper (Guajillo, seeded and soaked in boiling water until soft)
- 5 tomatoes (cooked)
- 1/2 onions
- 1 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 sprigs coriander
- chicken stock
- 1 pinch cumin
- 4 cups water
- corn flour (optional)
- 1Place a casserole or pot on the stove, and add the nopal and water into it. Bring to a boil. Strain the nopal from the water. Clean the nopal completely.
- 2Throw the nopal in the pot again and fill the pot with more water.
- 3Add the onion and coriander and cook for 10 minutes.
- 4Strain the onion, coriander and nopal again and place the cooked ingredients in the pot.
- 5Pour the chicken stock into the pot, and let it cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 6Grind or liquefy the tomatoes and chile peppers, using the water where the peppers were left to soak. Strain the mixture while allowing the fluids to pour into a pan.
- 7Cook the mixture with enough cooking oil for 3 minutes.
- 8Add this mixture to the pot along with water, chicken stock, cumin, and a pinch of salt.
- 9When the water begins to boil, cover the pot and let it cook under low heat for 15 minutes. If you would like the soup to have a thicker texture, you may add the corn flour.
PER SERVING *
|Calories120Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.