This Portuguese-style noodle dish calls for gila, a sweet jam made from spaghetti squash that's sold in Latin food markets or online. If you can't find it, you can use other types of jams, including fig or quince. The jam is mixed along with eggs into noodles that have been cooked in milk, an unusual but essential step to achieving the proper texture. Once cooled, the dish is dusted with ground cinnamon and powdered sugar (if desired).
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 150 grams vermicelli
- 150 grams eggs (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (sweet gilaground)
- In a saucepan, heat the milk.
- In a large pan, heat the water and a pinch of salt. When it starts boiling, add the noodles. Cook until the water is absorbed.
- Gradually, add the add milk until the pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Add the egg and sweet gila.
- Pour into a serving dish, let cool, then garnish with powdered cinnamon.