- 2 zucchini (small-ish, about as wide as your peeler)
- 2 italian sausages (casings removed)
- 1 onion (large)
- 2 pattypan squash (medium, or sub whatever squash you have on hand)
- 1 green bell pepper (large)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup mozzarella (grated)
- 1 jar marinara sauce (or make your own)
- 1 egg
- 1 bunch fresh herbs
- Slice (or using a peeler, peel) long thin strips of zucchini. Set out on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt. This will help dry out the zucchini so the lasagna isn't too runny. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes, then rinse excess salt off. To remove water, sandwich lasagna "noodles" between two kitchen towels and run over them with a rolling pin. Set aside.
- Cook up sausage until no longer pink. Add onion, garlic, squash and bell pepper and cook until onion has softened. Add marinara sauce.
- In a medium bowl, slightly beat one egg. Add container of ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs and mix well.
- Now it is time for layering! Add about 1/3 of sauce to bottom of pan. Layer zucchini "noodles". Place 1/2 Ricotta cheese mixture over that, then 1/3 mozzarella cheese. Repeat until you run out of ingredients. On top, add last bit of sauce and top with the rest of the mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan. I added some pepper and a small handful of freshly chopped basil to the top.
- Cook in preheated oven around 30-40 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and cheese on top is melted and a bit browned.