- 1 pound red beans (dried)
- 1 pound ham hock (fresh)
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (divided)
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled, finely chopped)
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups rice (hot cooked)
- Sort and wash beans; place in large Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans. Bring beans to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and set aside.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt over sides of ham hocks. Heat vegetable oil in Dutch oven; brown ham hocks 3 minutes on each side.
- Add reserved beans, remaining seasoned salt, 4 cups water, onions, thyme, bay leaf and pepper and stir to blend. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and cover; simmer 2 to 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve beans over rice.