Neapolitan RollsL'Antro dell'Alchimista
When you're looking to eat well on the go or simply linger over a savory pastry alongside a cup of joe, these cheesy, egg, ham and salami-stuffed rolls deliver. Made with Parmesan-laced dough, which is left to rise until it doubles in size, these hand-held wonders can be customized with fillings of your choosing, be it Serrano ham and Manchego cheese, ham and cheddar or turkey and Swiss. Brushed with egg, they bake until golden and invitingly poofy.
- 42 grams yeast
- 15 grams sugar
- 200 milliliters milk (warmed)
- 400 grams flour
- 50 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 30 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- 10 grams salt
- 2 egg yolks
- ground black pepper
- provolone cheese
- 300 grams deli meat
- 2 boiled eggs (chopped)
- 1In a bowl, dissolve the yeast with the sugar in warm milk.
- 2Add the flour, oil, shortening, Parmesan cheese, salt, 1 egg yolk, and a pinch of black pepper. Mix well and form into a smooth dough ball.
- 3Cover and leave to rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place.
- 4Knead the dough for a few minutes and roll out to 1/2-centimeter thick.
- 5Spread with the cooked meats and diced cheese, chopped eggs, and a pinch of black pepper.
- 6Incorporate the filling into the dough, kneading well and form into a long tapered roll.
- 7Cut into 3 to 4 centimeter slices and place on a lined baking tray.
- 8Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- 9Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- 10Brush with beaten egg yolk.
- 11Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
PER SERVING *
|Calories720Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.