Easter wheat pie is a traditional holiday treat made with cooked wheat, eggs and ricotta cheese. Featuring a lattice top, it's redolent of orange thanks to the addition of orange flower water. The modern pastiera was likely invented in a Neapolitan convent, where an unknown nun wanted that cake — a symbol of the Resurrection — to be reminiscent of flowers of the orange trees growing in the convent’s gardens.
- 500 grams flour
- 3 eggs
- 200 grams sugar
- 200 grams lard (or butter)
- 1 lemon
- 300 grams wheat (cooked)
- 400 milliliters milk
- 1 tablespoon lard (or butter)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 400 grams sheep
- ricotta cheese
- 300 grams sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites (. beaten to stiff peaks)
- 50 grams orange flower water (or orange zest)
- 2 lemon
- 150 grams citron
- candied fruit
- 150 grams powdered sugar
- Prepare the pie crust by kneading together the flour, eggs, sugar, lard, and the lemon peel.
- Refrigerate the dough until it is to be used.
- Cook the wheat in a medium saucepan with the milk, lard, and the sugar over low heat until it is creamy in consistency.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Place the ricotta cheese in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until it is creamy. Add the sugar and continue stirring. Add the egg yolks and 3 egg whites, the grated peel of 2 lemons, orange flower water, vanilla extract, and candied fruits.
- Add the cooked wheat cream and stir to incorporate well.
- BUtter and flour a pie plate. Roll out the pie crust to a thickness of 3 millimeters and line the pie plate. Set aside some of the dough to make strips for the lattice on top of the pie.
- Fill the pie crust with the pie filling, make a lattice pattern with the strips of dough set aside earlier, and add them to the top of the pie.
- Bake the pie at approximately 150C for approximately 2 hours, the pie crust should be golden and the filling should not be liquid.
- Turn off the oven and let the pie cool inside with the door slightly open.
- Refrigerate the cake for 3 days, serve it sprinkled with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories2080Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.